WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The awards are open to any person employed in a news capacity by any of the participating daily newspapers listed on the entry form. Joint submissions from multiple papers are accepted if all contributors work for ONA member papers.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ENTRY?
Any item appearing in an eligible daily newspaper in the calendar year 2017. Freelance contributions are eligible provided the content originated with an ONA-member newspaper.
All entries must be accompanied with:
A memorandum outlining the circumstances under which the story was written. The name of a senior editor or managing editor typed at the bottom of the letter is an accepted sign off. The name on the letter stands as proof they have approved the submission and will be accountable for it. Submissions MUST include an updated headshot in (jpeg) format. Remember, the system only allows you to submit two files per category. Many entrants submit the cover letter as one file and zip all accompanying documents in the second file (scroll to the bottom to see easy HOW-TO zip tips). It really is easy.
WHICH CATEGORIES MAY I ENTER?
• Competitors are limited to (1) ONE entry in any one category, except when involved in a team entry.
• Members of a team may also make individual entries in the same category.
• The same entry CANNOT be submitted in more than one category — EXCEPT for column/opinion writing, and the UNDER-25,000 circulation categories Spot News Writing; Feature Writing; and Sports Writing. Competitors in the three listed UNDER-25,000 circulation categories may also enter their work in the Spot News Writing, Feature Writing and Sports Writing OVER-25,000 circulation categories. Column/opinion writing entries may be part of a portfolio entry.
WHAT IS THE JUDGING PROCEDURE?
Judges consider all aspects of news, reporting and writing, and photography.
However, full consideration is given to accuracy, pressure of deadline, results and effect of publication, and individual initiative in obtaining the story or photograph. The inclusion of a memorandum by the entrant outlining these points and electronically signed off by the managing editor or senior editor is required.
NOTE: The committee reserves the right to reject any entry that does not meet content or packaging requirements.
Submission deadline is Friday, Jan. 26, 2018. The site will remain open until midnight.
We encourage all applicants to get their submissions in earlier than the posted deadline. The ONA committee looks forward to assisting anyone experiencing difficulty in their submission, however, late entries will be automatically disqualified.
APPLY ONLINE NOW
Here’s the procedure:
- Go to the submission URL: www.onawards.ca/submit/ (click here).
- Fill in your information including First and Last name, email address, telephone number, newspaper name you are submitting for, plus your address information.
- Scroll down and type in the number of entries you wish to submit, from 1 to 10.
- For each category you are entering, first select the category name from the dropdown field, then click the browse button and attach a cover letter (signed by a managing editor) and the entry itself. File formats accepted are: jpg, gif, png, pdf, bmp, tiff, zip, doc, docx, txt, rtf. Total uploaded size of all files can not exceed 20 MB.
- After select all the categories and files you are entering, click the green “Submit” button at the bottom of the form.
However, it’s preferred you submit the cover letter signed by the managing editor and the text of your entry using Microsoft Word. If you want to show the judges how the story was presented in the newspaper, please submit a pdf file as well with the entry.
For videos, please upload the file to a file or video sharing website (like YouTube) and provide the URL to the video in a text document, or submit the video provided it’s under 20 MB to the appropriate category.
More than one jpg can be submitted for the photo categories, but the file will need to be in zip format, such as using WinZip to fold them into one file that can later be extracted. There’s a trial edition available on the link provided, or use your favourite zip program. Another easy way to zip your files is to create a new folder on your desktop. Name it the category in which your applying to (i.e. Feature Photography). Drag and drop the documents you wish to enter into the folder. Right click the folder on your desktop. Scroll down to ‘Send To’ and select Compressed Zip. You’ve just created a much smaller folder that is compatible with our size capacity. Press the submit button.
Please submit any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.